Laser heat treating is a process where a substantial amount of energy is transmitted to a material’s surface. By changing the microstructure of the material through controlled heating and cooling, the material gains a hardened layer which increases wear resistance and fatigue strength. Using laser heating treating as opposed to conventional heat treating methods has many advantages:
- Precisely controlled heat to specific areas
- Repeatability with increased processing speeds
- Minimal residual stress input and distortion
- Self-quenching; requires no external quenching method
- Highly efficient
- Ability to access for hard to reach areas
Vector Automation provides robotic laser heat treating solutions using Trumpf, Coherent and IPG laser power supplies.